Seven months ago I wrote a post covering my likes and dislikes (mainly dislikes) of Yahoo! Mail beta. It’s time to revisit it and see if Yahoo! has done anything in that time. I had five points of contention:
1. Fixed-width fonts. There is still no option for showing/composing messages in fixed-width font. Starting off weakly, Yahoo!
2. Message replying format. It still puts my signature at the top of the message. Again, they should provide the option of putting it where I want it. Uh oh, another red x.
3. Message quoting. This also has not been fixed yet. Since I use good email etiquette, having no differentiation between what I’m replying to and writing is not an option.
4. Signature new lines. Finally, something they’ve fixed. Of course, without fixed-width font, my signature still looks wrong.
5. Bugs. Perhaps there are other bugs that have gone unfixed, but the one I identified in the previous post has been fixed. So you get a green check, Yahoo!
In sum total Yahoo! is batting .400, which is an excellent baseball average, but it is a poor average for things so simple to fix. Moreover, the list is in roughly descending order of importance to me. Therefore, Yahoo! is batting more like .150, having tackled none of the things crucial to me.
I’ve tried to tell Yahoo! about these shortcomings. I’ve submitted feature requests to the appropriate place several times over the last seven months. I can’t believe I’m the only one with these concerns. But since nothing has changed, perhaps I am.